Los Angeles InDesign User Group
Using InDesign and Illustrator to Create Movie Props
Thursday, May 21, 2015
5674 Venice Blvd., Los Angeles, California 90019
Are you curious about who makes the fake newspapers, passports and product labels that appear in the movies and on TV? See how it's done when we take a field trip to the graphics department of one of Hollywood's biggest movie prop houses. Learn about the design and creation of graphic props for television and movies, from print-based items such as magazines, newspapers, books, and paper work, to custom product packaging and fabrication. The presentation will highlight product design and creation using various methods from standard printing to silk-screening to specialized vinyl production using the Mimaki CJV30-60 and Gerber EdgeFX vinyl printers.
About HPR Graphics
HPR Graphics is a division of the Hand Prop Room. Founded in the 70s by a former prop master, the Hand Prop Room consists of a rental house with over 1,000,000 props on hand, a graphics department, and a custom manufacturing facility serving film productions of all sizes across the country.
About the Presenters
Katie Wood is a self-taught graphic designer who started designing on her high school yearbook staff and expanded her skills in print design as Production Manager of The Minnesota Daily, the student-run newspaper of the University of Minnesota. Her love of movies lead her to move to California and earn an MFA in Screenwriting from USC.
Agnieshka Jane holds a BFA in graphic design from the Cooper Union School of Art in New York City and a film production degree from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. Experience in both fields has proven to be an invaluable tool in the unique field of print prop fabrication. Agnieshka has managed the Hand Prop Room Graphics Department since 2000.
The person who travels the farthest to attend the meeting will receive a one-year subscription to InDesign Magazine. This prize has a $69 value. If everyone is kinda sorta in the area, then this prize will go the person who just had or is about to have a birthday.
• 6-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION: eDocker CREATE! Value $774.00
• 3-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION: Full access to the entire Stock Layout template library for three months. Value $299.00
• SOFTWARE: in5 from Ajar Productions. Value $219.00
• 1-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION: Any single product from Markzware. Value $199.00
• SOFTWARE: Font Agent Pro from Insider Software. Value $99.95
• 3-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION: Fotolia. 5 images per month for three months. Value $50.00
• EBOOK from O'Reilly Media. Value to $50.00
• SOFTWARE: TypeDNA. Value $49.00
• 1-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION: Digital-Tutors. Value $29.00 (two raffles)
• TICKETS: LA Web Professionals Meeting. Value $7.99 (four raffles)
Future Media Concepts
LA Web Professionals